The Schengen short-stay visa

visa schengen
visa schengen
Students, Researcher

The Schengen short-stay visa lets you enter and remain in a country in the Schengen area for a maximum period of 90 days. Depending on your nationality or your situation, you may not need it.

What does the Schengen short-stay visa allow?

The Schengen short-stay visa (visa Schengen court séjour) lets you enter and remain in a country in the Schengen area for a maximum period of 90 days. It may apply to an uninterrupted stay of 90 days or several stays with a cumulative length of 90 days. As with tourism and business, taking a short training programme, doing an internship, working after obtaining a temporary work permit are valid reasons for being granted a Schengen short-stay visa.

The Schengen single entrance short-stay visa (visa Schengen court séjour à une seule entrée) is only valid for one trip. If it allows two or more entrances, it is a travel visa which is valid for six months to five years. It authorises one or more successive stays that must not exceed 90 days total over a maximum period of 180 days.

No formalities are required, either on arrival or on departure. After the 90 days, you must leave the Schengen area. The Schengen short-stay visa is renewable, but you will have to wait six months to submit a new request.

Unlike a long-stay visa, it does not authorise you to live in France.

Who does the Schengen short-stay visa apply to?

Nationals of many countries are not required to have a Schengen short-stay visa to enter and stay in a country in the Schengen area to a maximum of 90 days, meaning:

  • citizens of the European Union, the European Economic Area and Switzerland;
  • nationals from the following countries, regardless of the reason for the stay: Albania*, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Macedonia, Bahamas, Barbados, BosniaHerzegovina*, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, Grenada, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Malaysia, Mauritius, Monaco, Montenegro*, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, San Marino, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint-Lucia, Samoa, Serbia*, Seychelles, Taiwan (with a passport bearing the number of the identity card), East Timor, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Vanuatu and Vatican;
    (* holders of biometric passports only)
  • nationals from the following countries, on condition they have a work permit if they are doing a paid activity: Australia, Brazil, South Korea, United States, Japan, Mexico, Singapore and Venezuela;
  • holders of passports from the special Chinese administrative regions: Hong Kong and Macao;
  • holders of a current residency permit in France;
  • holders of a residency permit granted by a State applying the Schengen agreement;
  • holders of a longstay visa granted by another state in the Schengen area;
  • holders of certain travel permits granted by an EU member state (residency permit stating "EU family member" or "Longterm EC resident");
  • holders of “British Nationals Overseas", "British Overseas Territories Citizens", "British Protected Persons" or "British Subjects" passports;
  • holders of a special card granted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to personnel from a diplomatic and consular mission.

If you do not fall in any of these categories, you must obtain a Schengen short-stay visa to enter and stay in France. Contact the French consular authorities or those of another country in the Schengen area to submit your request.

Follow the main steps to come study in France