How to apply in an institute of higher education?

inscription papier stylo

Depending on your nationality, level of studies or type of institute of higher education in which you wish to enrol, you must follow the corresponding procedure.

Agenda of processes

Depending on your nationality, your residence country, your end of higher education year degree and the level of studies you want to join, the process may differ to apply in a higher education institution in France. Feel free to check out the Website of the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation to know more.

If you want to join French the higher education system in 2019-2020, here are the important timetables :


Exact dates will be released soon.

  • Start of registrations 
  • Complete your list of academic choices before 
  • Complete your file before 

DAP – “Demande d’Admission Préalable” (preliminary request for admission)

Exact dates will be released soon.

Registrations open on  November 2018 and close on  January 2019.


Registrations open on 5 November 2018 and close on 28 February 2019.

“Parcoursup” to apply in 1st year

Parcoursup is the French platform dedicated to registrations in first year in trainings of the 1st cycle of higher education.

You must follow follow this process if:

  • You are a European student who want to study in 1st year;
  • You are a non-European student who passed a French baccalauréat in AEFE (“Agence Française pour l’Enseignement Français à l’Etranger”) high school and you want to join the French higher education system in 1st year;
  • You are a non-European student who want to register in 1st year in an institution excluded from the DAP (“Demande d'Admission Préalable”, Preliminary request for admission) process. It is generally the case for IUTs (Instituts Universitaires Technologiques), STS (Sections de Techniciens Supérieur) preparatory classes to “grandes écoles” (CPGE)
étudiante ordinateur inscription
Register to the French higher education system

The Preliminary request for admission (DAP)

The preliminary request for admission (DAP) applies to all foreign students wishing to enrol in the first year or a Bachelor's at a university or in school of architecture. It is mandatory for the non-European foreign students.

If you live in one of the 42 countries concerned by the "Studying in France" procedure, the procedure is conducted online on the "Studying in France" platform. Otherwise you must file a request with the department of cooperation and cultural action at the French Embassy in your country of residence. The white files concern enrolment in first-year university; the yellow for first year in a school of architecture.

Complete the procedure as soon as possible. Ideally, in November of the year preceding the academic year you are applying for. Regularly check your personal account on the Campus France site so you don't miss the deadline.

The "Studying in France" enrolment procedure

The "Studying in France" (Études en France) procedure involves foreign students residing in one of the following 42 countries:

Algeria, Argentina, Benin, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, the Republic of the Congo, South Korea, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, United States, Gabon, Guinea, Haïti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mauritius, Mauritania, Mexico, Peru, Democratic Republic of Congo, Senegal, Russia, Taiwan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey and Vietnam.

procédure Etudes en France

If you live in one of these countries, the preliminary enrolment procedure is mandatory for studying in France. All procedures are conducted online, from the enrolment request to obtaining a visa.

You can find all of the details of the procedure in the article  "You reside in a country affected by the "Studying in France"

Enrolling in an arts programme

The CampusArt platform is the entry for enrolling in an arts programme in France. It covers approximately one hundred institutes that offer programmes in fine art, design, fashion, music and architecture, from preparatory classes to the Doctorate.

The CampusArt application area is accessible from anywhere around the world. Nonetheless, it does not replace the "Studying in France" procedure in the 42 countries where that applies. A single file is used for applying to several institutes or programmes at the same time. The filing fees are only invoiced if you are accepted.

How do you confirm your enrolment?

After your application is accepted, you must confirm your enrolment in your host institute before classes start. For universities, final enrolment includes an administrative component and a pedagogical component. The first consists of filling in your file; the second involves you choosing a cursus and options (optional classes, sport, etc.).

Your institute will then give you a certificate of school attendance and a student card that attest to your legal status as a student. The documents are given to you in person, after payment of enrolment fees has been received.


Follow the main steps to come study in France