European students don't need a visa. Admission procedures are simple. 

Nationals of EU member countries

If you are a national of a member state of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), you may apply directly to the institution(s) of interest to you. You are not required to follow any particular process to enter French higher education beyond the first year. You are not even required to obtain a visa.  

If you seek to enter the first year of higher education in France, you must follow the online post-baccalauréat admission process ("Admission post-bac," APB). The same process is required of all French students.

Other students living in Europe

If you live in an EU countries but are not a citizen, you will have to apply for a student visa at the French consulate in the country in which you reside. Even if the CEF procedure is used in your country of origin, you do not have to return there in order to apply for admission to a French institution of higher education.